Simplify Your Company’s Charitable Giving
Whether you have a corporate foundation, a corporate giving program, or both, we’ve got you covered. By partnering with Foundation Source, you get a comprehensive suite of expert guidance, technology, and administrative support—all under one roof and tailored to your needs. It will simplify your company’s charitable giving and take your philanthropy to the next level.
Working with Foundation Source will help you:
- Streamline operations and reduce employee work loads
- Simplify the review and approval process of corporate donations
- Capture giving data from multiple corporate facilities in one place
- Provide transparency to eliminate duplicate giving across the organization
- Easily prepare standardized and user-defined reports
Services for Corporate Foundations and Giving Programs
Our comprehensive services include:
We serve as your virtual staff, providing outsourced support for your corporate philanthropy.
- Customization of Foundation Source Online®, our proprietary technology platform
- Uploading of historical giving activity (from a standardized electronic file)
- Configuration of viewing rights and permissions for each online user
- Preparation of donation checks and transmittal letters
- Confirmation of IRS status for 501(c)(3) organizations
- USA PATRIOT Act due diligence to screen out terrorist organizations
Additional Services for Corporate Foundations
- Funding and expense processing
- Compliance monitoring for self-dealing and jeopardizing investments
- Tax preparation and filings: annual 990-PF, estimated taxes, year-end 1099s/1042s, and state filings as required
Keeping Corporate Foundations Compliant
Guidance on five common areas of potential trouble for corporate foundations.
FOUNDATION SOURCE ONLINE®
Foundation Source Online is a secure, web-based platform for managing your corporate philanthropy, including charity research, donation processing, activity tracking, and reporting. Viewing rights and permissions are customized for each staff member given access to the platform, enabling managers to control what staff can see and do online. This award-winning technology provides oversight and control over corporate giving and facilitates online communication and collaboration.
- Database of IRS-approved public charities and other exempt organizations
- Supplemental data on all U.S. schools from the National Center for Educational Statistics
- Access to research from GuideStar® and Charity Navigator®
- Research of charities not found in the database
- Streamlined systems to initiate and review donations
- Management of multi-year commitments
- Creation of “favorite charities” list for expedited giving
Customized Review and Approval Workflows
- Manage donations by individuals, committees, satellite facilities, and geographic areas
- Manage donations with programmatic and/or budget restrictions
- Ability to filter out charitable organizations by category using the National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities
Activity and Financial Reporting
- Receipt of donation acknowledgments from nonprofits
- Library of standardized reports with filters for user-defined reporting
- Custom reports available
Streamlined Grants Management
Foundation Source Requests® makes it easy for your company to accept online applications from grantseekers, then organize and review those requests. It includes:
- Eligibility quizzes to pre-screen applicants against program criteria
- Customized applications with “required fields” that ensure complete submissions
- Review and collaboration tools for evaluators and stakeholders
- Letter and email templates for notifying applicants of funding decisions or the need for additional information
Foundation Source Results® helps you track the impact of your company’s charitable donations. It automates the process of collecting key performance metrics from nonprofits and other recipients:
- How donations were spent
- Recipient’s progress towards goals
- Unexpected challenges
- Lessons learned.
Private Client Advisors
Each client is supported by a Private Client Advisor, a dedicated relationship manager for your company who is available to assist company representatives with our services on a daily basis. He/she gets to know you and your philanthropy program inside and out. Private Client Advisors are backed by specialists with expertise in tax and legal issues, compliance, and philanthropy. They will help you to:
- Configure customized granting permissions and grant approval processes for your corporate giving
- Provide orientation and technology support for Foundation Source Online users
- Review donations and transmittal letters for accuracy
- Receive and post correspondence on your behalf
You also get telephone access to a Philanthropic Director who can help you advance your company’s philanthropy:
- Develop a corporate social responsibility strategy that aligns with company business goals
- Research, prioritize, and develop funding areas
- Identify nonprofit partners
- Create giving criteria and application materials
- Provide compliance guidance for fundraising activities
- Help develop key performance metrics
Your Philanthropic Director is also available to work with your company’s legal counsel to develop customized gift agreements, if needed.
For companies that engage in workplace giving, these optional services are available through our network of preferred partners.
- Employee matching
- International programs
Adding a Corporate Foundation to Your Company’s Philanthropy
Nearly all companies engage in philanthropy as a means of giving back to the communities in which they operate. This includes financial contributions, product donations, in-kind services, and employee matching and volunteering.
However, only a fraction of these companies take advantage of the additional benefits that come from adding a corporate foundation to their philanthropic efforts. These unique and powerful advantages include:
- Tax Benefits: The company gets a charitable tax deduction when it makes a contribution to its own foundation, plus it maintains control over those charitable assets into the future.
- Asset “Catch Basin”: The company can avoid capital gains taxes when real estate, stock, and other appreciated assets are donated to the foundation.
- Expanded Philanthropic Options: Corporate foundations can engage in a wide range of charitable activities that would not be tax deductible if handled directly by the company:
- International grants directly to organizations outside of the U.S.
- Employer-related scholarship programs
- Grants to individuals for disaster relief and economic hardship
- Loans for a charitable purpose that are paid back to the foundation
- Grants to for-profit entities for a charitable purpose
- Consistent Giving: In years when company profits are high, the foundation can build a reserve that can be tapped in leaner years.
- Reduced Company Overhead: Staffing and overhead can be paid by the foundation and counted toward its 5% minimum distribution requirement, resulting in a reduced cost to the company.
- Simplified Recordkeeping: Corporate foundations are not required to collect substantiation receipts for gifts of $250 or more, a big plus for employee matching programs.
If your company is interested in establishing a corporate foundation, we can provide a new corporate foundation, ready for funding, in about a week. We’ll provide the nonprofit corporate entity, bylaws, and recommended governance policies; and we’ll file IRS Form 1023 for recognition of exempt status.